Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Happy TwinTuesday! Summer Reading...



Hi again everyone! TwinHappyJen here with another TwinTueday :-) And yes, getting this posted a bit late again :-p Honestly, I almost forgot it was TwinTuesday! Just had some errands to run this morning, and then ended up having to take a nap after getting the girls off to school (last night was my weekly date night with my husband and, they never to seem to understand that Mommy was up late the night before :-p)... so, just finally getting a chance to sit down and post today.

I also wasn't sure what I was going to post about today, but I happened to learn that a big book convention (called Book Expo America) is starting today in New York. I would have loved to go... I'm pretty clueless about, well, everything having to do with the literary/publishing world :-p But, this particular event seems to be a pretty big deal. Oh well, maybe next year :-D And in the meantime, I've decided to make this TwinTuesday book-themed!

With summer coming up, those of us with school-aged children might be wondering how to keep them occupied until the fall. This is a first for me... I think this is the first summer I've ever dreaded :-p The girls have just enjoyed PreK so much... even over the weekend, they'll start to bug me about going back to school. They're actually getting really familiar with the days of the week now just because, we go over it every time they wonder whether or not today is a school day :-p

So now we're facing a couple of months or so of no school... one of their teachers actually suggested our local library's summer reading program. I'd definitely like to check that out. We used to go to the library all the time, but we got out of the habit when they started a big construction project on the one here (the Cockeysville Library), awhile ago (it seems to have been going on forever now). They still have a "mini-library" with a few shelves of books and every once in awhile we'll go in to pick a few up. But, there's no giant play area or anything like that anymore. Really looking forward to their grand re-opening (whenever that may be)! :-p

Anyway, haven't checked into what programs they might still have running, but think I'll have to check it out. So, what about you? This might not apply to those of you with very young twins, but if they're at all near school age, do you have any summer programs that they'll be participating in? (And if you happen to live near me, here in Baltimore County, Maryland, I could definitely use suggestions! :-D)

To rephrase, here's the official TwinTuesday QOTW:

What summer reading plans do you have with your twins? Any particular books you're planning to read together?

I don't really have an answer to this question, myself, right now. But, I can say that Anna and Josie have renewed my interest in books. I used to read quite a bit, and I still don't read as many adult books as I should. But, I have been transported back to my youth a bit, when my parents would take us to our local library (which was the Harundale Library, now called the North County Library, in Glen Burnie, Maryland). We usually had some kind of limit on how many books we could check out, which was probably a good idea since I might have checked out half the library if they let me :-p I remember having so much fun picking out all these "new" books that I could take home with me... and not even having to worry about how much they cost (and hence, whether or not my parents would balk at getting it for me) like I would in a toy store :-p I could just pick out anything I wanted!

I do have to admit, though, that a lot of children's books today leave me kind of cold. A lot of times it just seems like they're thrown together and a lot of times, when reading them to the girls, I'll even make up my own words for them, because the wording in the books are so awkward, long-winded or whatever, that it just makes reading them out loud almost impossible. And, of course, finding good books about twins is even more impossible... the whole idea of writing "Two Snowflakes" started because I simply couldn't find any good twin books in my library.

So, I could definitely use some suggestions for summer-reading! I think it's the only way we'll all stay sane until September (or late August... whenever school starts now :-p)

Feel free to answer the QOTW in the comments below, or on your own blog and add a link to your post below! (And feel free to add the blog hop code to your blog post, as well!)

P.S. You can also feel free to talk about anything you'd like in the TwinTuesday posting on your own blog... the QOTW is just meant as a discussion starter, but you're certainly not restricted to that as a topic :-)



New to TwinTuesday? Read about what exactly it is and how it all began!

Looking to connect with other Twin Moms, Dads & More on Twitter?

Check out the ever-growing "Twin Tweeters" list!

0 comments:

Post a Comment